Software Engineer Contractor (Ruby on Rails)
- Contractor, 20~30 hours/week, Remote
- 4 hours/day overlap with UTC-5
- Senior Level
As part of our small and dynamic team you’ll be working on client projects. Our client projects are for very small to very large companies and everything in between. Projects range from shorter engagements of just a few weeks to multi-month commitments. Being an active and involved team member will help you succeed in this role. We value good communication and a willingness to learn!
We Want to Hear from You if You Love:
This is intended as a guide of what you can expect from our company. We’d still love to hear from you even if you don’t meet all of the job requirements; we appreciate people who like a challenge! Our team is made up of dynamic individuals who are eager to learn and share ideas, just like you. Please apply even if you don’t check off all the boxes.
- A good collaborator and an excellent team player
- Well-versed in software design and Object-Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Experienced with our current tools (or at least some of them)
- Capable of making important decisions
- Both detail-oriented and practical
- Experienced in Agile/Lean environments
- An advanced or native-level English speaker
Does any of this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you!
About this Role
As a Software Engineer Contractor at OmbuLabs, you’ll be part of a highly-skilled team who partner with clients on a variety of projects including upgrades, feature work, and maintenance.Some of your tasks will include:
- Performing code audits and Rails upgrades
- Writing simple, clear code that is easy to maintain
- Communicating with and demo-ing work to clients
- Refactoring code to optimize for performance
- Pair programing with colleagues
- Conducting code reviews on pull requests
This is a remote contractor position. We require a minimum 4-hour overlap with Eastern Standard Time (UTC-5) and that you can dedicate 20 to 30 hours a week to OmbuLabs.
About Our Company
OmbuLabs is a boutique agency made up of talented individuals. We are an inclusive team who value diversity of all kinds. We help our clients feel confident that we understand their needs and always strive to go above and beyond expectations. We care about each other and the work that we do. As an organization we prioritize a sustainable and flexible work environment that enables us to balance our lives with providing high-quality expert support to our clients.
Before you apply, please read about our core values.
We are a small team of full-time employees and contractors. Currently, our team is about 25 people, but growing quickly. We really like each other and value our team culture of openness and fun. One thing about us is that our favorite movie is Matilda (yes, we all love it! 🎀📚🏫🦎).
Contractors currently enjoys these benefits:
- Remote work from anywhere (we currently have team members in 8 countries).
- Flexible hours. We only require a 4-hour overlap between 9am to 5pm UTC-5 (i.e. East Coast Time).
Ready to Apply? Great!
Our application is a quick questionnaire. We don’t require a cover letter or resume. Instead, we have a few questions for you to answer.
OmbuLabs believes in workplace diversity. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds and parts of the world to apply.
OmbuLabs (The Lean Software Boutique LLC) does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, special needs/conditions, or any other protected class.
We believe that diverse teams are smarter teams. There is value in diversity. Ensuring that our teams include talented and diverse people from all over the world helps us to stay competitive in an industry lacking in diversity.